Friday, January 9, 2009

The Holocaust of the Unborn


A few years ago, I had the chance to visit the Holocaust memorial in Boston. At the end of the exhibit there was a plaque with a poem written by Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niem̦ller (14 January 1892 Р6 March 1984) a prominent German anti-Nazi and Lutheran pastor. The famous poem says:

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak up because I was not a communist; Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up because I was not a Jew; Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak up because I was not a trade unionist; Then they came for the Catholics, and I did not speak up because I was a Protestant; Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up for me. "

It is one of the most amazing poems, and I have often reflected on how similar it is to our situation today when many of us continue to be silent about the continual holocaust that is taking place in our midst. Just in the US over 4000 babies die daily to this heinous and horrifying action of the abortion industry. And how many of us continue to be silent and/or uninvolved. We do not see the faces of these babies, we do not hear them screaming, we do not smell the crematory ovens, nope, we have learnt to avoid the awful reminders of massive holocausts, we have become more sophisticated technologically to avoid painful reminders that may make us feel uncomfortable, and we remain silent, silent when the blood of our brothers and sisters continues to be spilled all over our land every minute of our lives. May the Lord have mercy on us! Talk about devotion to the tears of our Lord!!!

3 comments:

  1. father,

    I have heart felt feelings on abortion also, though your post made me think about what I am doing to protect the lives of our brothers and sisters. Which is nothing, not even devoting to prayer for our poor bothers and sisters that do not get a chance to speak out against there own murder. Also, after I read this post I realized I need to speak up more and prayer for a day that will end. Even if it means the Rapture of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew, Prayer and fasting infused with love are the most powerful weapons we have available to overcome the greatest evils of our world

    ReplyDelete
  3. The number of children lost each day are much more than those killed by abortion in clinics. What about those lost through so- called 'contraceptives'? Many of these chemicals and iud's as well; are causing secret abortions after conception, before inplantation, which not even their mothers know of. But, God sees all. Also, most abortions are done because of contraceptive failure. Prayer is good, but we also need to turn from our wicked ways. We need to embrace life, reject all forms of contraceptives/family planning, and teach others to do likewise. It is God's will to bless us with children, and we need to submit to His will!

    ReplyDelete